Disinfect your home in flue season
The flu has been spreading around the North Georgia Mountains like wildfire. If you do unfortunately get sick or someone else in your household comes down with a virus you will want to take certain steps to disinfect your home from the flu and get rid of germs fast. Did you know that cold and flu viruses can stay alive on surfaces for up to three hours! Below are some helpful tips for disinfecting your home when germs strike:
1) Bedding – When you are sick you tend to sweat a lot while sleeping. If you can place an extra sheet under your fitted sheet to absorb extra sweat from the sick person. When the virus is gone wash the bedding and spray the mattress with disinfectant spray. It also helps to let the mattress air out for a while before replacing the sheets.
2) Areas of contact- These are areas and items that you come in contact with in your home such as remote controls, door knobs, light switches, etc. Frequently spray these areas down with disinfectant spray to control the spread of viruses.
3) Bathrooms- There are several places that need to be tended to in the bathroom. All towels need to be washed and replaced. Counter tops, toilets, and bathtubs need to be cleaned with a disinfectant cleaner and toothbrushes should be replaced.
You can make your own disinfectant if you prefer not to use chemical based ones by using a mixture of 1 part water to 1 part rubbing alcohol or 1 part water to 1 part vinegar.
4) Kitchen- Even though the kitchen may not be frequently used when you are sick it’s still a good idea to wipe down of the counters and points of contact like the fridge handle, faucet, cupboard handles and drawer handles.
5) Clothes- Wash all dirty clothes as soon as the virus is gone. If you cannot wash in warm water consider adding a few drops or tea tree oil or vinegar to your wash to kill the germs.
6) Trash- Empty all trash cans. Wipe the outside down with cleaner and spray the inside with disinfectant spray.
7) Air out the house- Open the windows for a little while to let some fresh air in. Even though it doesn’t kill germs it works wonders to replace the stale air in your home.
Feel free to Contact Complete Home Services for any questions or to schedule a cleaning service.
Complete Home Services, located in the North Georgia Mountains provides Housecleaning, Window washing, Gutter Cleaning, Yard Services and Landscaping in Union County Georgia, Fannin County Georgia and Towns County Georgia. For your landscaping needs visit our VistaScapes website at www.VistaScapesUSA.com