If you think your 2011 property taxes are too high

Dear Union County property owner,

If you think  your 2011 property taxes are too high,  I want to bring you up to date on the method and form to use to appeal your property’s assessed value in any Georgia County.

Property values have gone down in the past 2-3 years and your property may be overvalued by the county Tax Assessor.  If you think your property has been overvalued for tax purposes, now is the time to act.

All county Boards of Tax Assessors have sent to Georgia property owners a notice of their annual assessment which gives the taxpayer information on filing an appeal on real property.  Upon receipt of the assessment, the property owner desiring to appeal the assessment may do so within 45 days of the assessment notice mailing.  The taxpayer’s appeal may be based on taxavbility, value, uniformity and/or the denial of an exemption.  The appeal is filed with the county Board of Assessors.


Use Georgia Department of Revenue


You may download a copy of the form by clicking on the following link:

Form PT-311-A

This is a Georgia uniform appeal form for use by property owners.  In that initial written dispute, the taxpayer must declare his chosen method of appeal.  Attach copies of comparable properties sold, or, better yet, a recent appraisal of the property.

For more information on property tax appeals, please consult a property tax attorney.


Mike Kelly